Friday, October 17, 2014

Working Smart

Beth, Executive VP
For many years my department colleague Beth talked about "Working Smart". (She's worked so smart that she has worked her way up to Vice President, but that's another story).  The kind of working smart that I am interested in is that which creates more time for using my unique gifts to benefit students.  That means spending less time on repetitive yet important tasks that complement my central focus.

Enter, the use of "macros" for repeated email responses (e.g. "Could you meet with me to talk about my classes?") and repeated grading responses (e.g. "Excellent start, and needs more focus on.....")  I'll bet you can think of plenty of examples.

There are multiple tools available for creating macros.  I'll focus on these three:
1. Gmail Canned Responses:  This feature is available to you via your LBCC email account.  You do need to enable the Canned Responses Lab in your Settings. After it is enabled, you can start creating your canned responses and easily retrieve them (and edit if needed) as you desire for repetitive emails. For complete instructions setting up Canned Responses, click here. 

2. Turnitin:  This tool is available to all LBCC faculty to use to create macros for common grading comments. Not only that, but you can drag and drop the comments without touching your keyboard once!  Turnitin supplies some premade macros, but I find the most valuable ones to be the ones that I have created. If you like to DIY, and don't use Moodle, click here to learn how to set up your user account.  





If you do use Moodle, Turnitin is embedded!  It's super easy to start using it there and your students will have a seamless experience.
Karelia , English
Department Chair


3. Shortkeys: There are two key differences about Shortkeys.  First, it can be used in ANY program.  It will work in Gmail, Word programs, Googledocs, Moodle, Turnitin, etc.  It is not tied to one particular software program.  Second, it has to be purchased. It costs $25/one user; $40/two users and costs continue to go down by volume.   

I learned about Shortkeys, from my Division colleague, Karelia, a leader in the Land of Working Smart.  Sharing techniques among departments and divisions can help all of us to move forward--our colleagues have many great ideas and in the role of Faculty Fellow, I want to be a key part of this cross-pollination.



I'd be glad to visit your office or department meeting to talk more about which tools would work best for you and/or to give you a more detailed tutorial on any tool that you are exploring. I will tailor my visit to what you need.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment